Saturday, December 22, 2007

New Beers of the Year

Sometime around 1991, maybe '92, while listening to Achtung Baby for the gazillionth time and watching re-runs of Get a Life, I remember thinking to myself that there had to be more to beer than just Natural Light, Busch Light, and their associated ilk. Rolling Rock represented the most dramatic departure from the same "flavors" that I'd experienced in all of those mass-produced light beers, and it only had a faint dryness that set it apart. I bought my first six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager a few days later, and was off and running into the world of craft beer.

My, how things have changed. I've personally tried over 3,000 beers in the last 15 years or so, including a couple hundred new ones this year. I've compiled a list of what I think to be the 10 best new American beers from 2007 - check them out below and let me know what you think!

10. Chicken Killer Barleywine (Santa Fe Brewing Co., Santa Fe, NM) - Great name, but an even better beer. Unlike many domestic barleywines that want to "kill" you with hops, this one is a malt lover's dream. Huge, malty, grainy sweetness with a touch of hoppiness for balance, it's one of the best barleywines I've ever had the pleasure to drink.

9. Backwoods Bastard (Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, MI) - Another malty gem, this is a barrel-aged version of their Scotch Ale. Incredibly smooth, almost velvety, it's a real treat.

8. Prohibition Pilsner (Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, OH) - A dead ringer for Pilsner Urquell, this brew reaffirmed my belief that Great Lakes truly has the midas touch.

7. BORIS The Crusher Imperial Oatmeal Stout (Hoppin' Frog Brewing Co., Akron, OH) - Incredible effort from a new brewery here in the buckeye state. The BORIS is a roasted, full-bodied, powerful dark ale that somehow manages to melt in your mouth. It's easily the best stout I drank this year.

6. Copper Kettle Weiss (New Glarus Brewing Co., New Glarus, WI.) - Think of smoked bananas. Yeah, it does sound weird, but trust me, I couldn't get enough of this beer. A rich, dark wheat brew that hits the spot anytime of year. Highly addictive.

5. Mad Elf (Troegs Brewing Co., Harrisburg, PA) - I've been wanting to try this beer for years, and thanks to my friend Glenn, I finally got the chance a few weeks ago. Wow, it is like chocolate covered cherries dipped in a heavy liquid malt. Delicious, and strong - a perfect sipper on a cold winter night.

4. Boss Cox Dark IPA (Barrelhouse Brewing Co., Cincinnati, OH) - A blast of caramel and toffee is followed by pleasant notes of spice and bitterness. An incredibly complex beer.

3. Dancing Man Wheat (New Glarus Brewing Co., New Glarus, WI.) - Quite possibly the best American wheat beer that I've ever tried. Hints of banana and clove, crisp and easy to drink, it is the ultimate summertime beer, and gives the best German Hefeweizens a run for their money.

2. Pumking (Southern Tier Brewing Co., Lakewood, NY) - I've tried dozens of pumpkin beers over the years, many of which have been underwhelming, some just plain awful. Pumking is easily the best of the bunch, and stands out for its natural pumpkin flavor and amazing creaminess. It tastes exactly like a slice of pumpkin pie with melted vanilla ice cream. Amazing stuff.

1. Christmas Ale (Kuhnenn Brewing Co., Warren, MI) - Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, this one has it all. A hedonistic pleasure as well as a beer to tickle the mind. One of the few beers I've had in my life that had me thinking about it every day for months.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey Bill, what about Ale Smith's Wee Heavy?!? I stopped in my tracks when I tried this scotch ale. It's a toasty, smoky, creamy, dark amber colored, beer lover's dream. I highly recommend this to share with friends! (It's 10% alcohol by volume, but doesn't taste a bit like it.)